The Motorists' Guide
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Q

Out to pasture - Volvo 740 estate

Steve reviews another high mileage car which has now been left out to pasture.

Image may contain: sky, car and outdoor

Volvo is a brand where high mileage cars are renowned and a trend that was started by the 700 series. The 700 series was created by Volvo’s chief designer Jan Wilsgaard over a 10 year period, and was designed to replace the 200 series. The 700 was released in 1982 and the first model available was the 760GLE saloon which immediately became Volvo’s flagship. Being the flagship model the 760 came with luxuries such as heated leather seats, air conditioning, alloy wheels, front foglights, electric windows, electric mirrors and electric sunroof all as standard. Three engines were available for the 760 which included the 2.8 V6 petrol which, ironically is the same engine as found in the Delorean DMC-12 as well as a 2.3 turbo charged petrol and a 2.4 turbo diesel. The engines were mated to either a 4 speed manual gearbox with overdrive or a 4 speed automatic.

In 1985 the 740 was released and slotted between the luxurious 760 and the 200 series as a mid-size family car and as such there was slightly more choice for buyers compared to the one spec for the 760. The 740 was available in either GL or GLE or SE (1988 onwards) versions, the GL was the entry level spec and did away with luxuries such as leather interior, front foglights and alloy wheels. Whereas the GLE model was almost identical to the 760 GLE spec and was of the more popular 700 models. The 740 was available with a 2.3 naturally aspirated petrol engine as well as the infamous 2.3 turbo petrol and the same 2.4 turbo diesel as found in the 760.

Image may contain: people sitting

Another key development in 1985 was the introduction of the estate version which was available in both 760 and 740 guises. The specs remained unchanged to that of the saloons but offered far more luggage space, as well as the option of a rear facing bench seat which could fold neatly into the boot floor and self-levelling suspension. This allowed the 700 series estate to become a fantastic workhorse and family car, which could double up as a lovely executive car.  

Image may contain: sky, car and outdoor

This brings me on nicely to our high miler feature which is a 1987 Volvo 740 GLE estate fitted with the 2.3 naturally aspirated engine and 4 speed manual gearbox with overdrive. This is a one owner car from new and was registered in the April of 1987 and was specd with the rare options of a telephone and graphic equaliser. The car spent its life as the owner’s company car for his own business before being retired in 2005 after covering 149,928 miles. Since being retired the Volvo has sat in a field, where rust is starting to take hold. This is no small feat as the 700 series was well rust proofed when new. This car also suffers from the very common sagging headlining issue which can be expected in light of the age and condition.

No automatic alt text available.

The Motorists Guide View:

Sitting in this Volvo brings a wave of sadness over me as it allowed me to reminisce about my late Grandfathers 1984 Volvo 760GLE diesel saloon, and it brought back a lot of memories bearing in mind I hadn’t sat in one in approximately 20 years. What did amaze me was that despite the Volvo’s condition, the switchgear and interior felt well put together and was comfortable place to sit. I would love to see this Volvo to hit the road again but somehow I find it unlikely to do so and I would love to have taken it home with me.  Rest in peace faithful servant.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, car

Have you got a high mileage car?

If so, we’d love to hear from you and share your high miler car story.

Regards

Steve

• Like 1

Great write-up Steve!

Wow! so it's not just me who feels an empathy for an old car, regardless of what make it is, when you consider that it was someone's pride and joy when they collected it from the showroom when new and polished it and cherished for years and then....something changes and it becomes a lump of metal and discarded to rot away in a field. Very sad 😞

On 5/28/2018 at 9:30 AM, The Motorists Guide said:

Great write-up Steve!

Wow! so it's not just me who feels an empathy for an old car, regardless of what make it is, when you consider that it was someone's pride and joy when they collected it from the showroom when new and polished it and cherished for years and then....something changes and it becomes a lump of metal and discarded to rot away in a field. Very sad 😞

Thanks Trevor :)

I do find abandoned cars interesting as you've finely put it cars are loved and then suddenly discarded. For me seeing this Volvo was like a flash back as my last memories of my granddads Volvo 760 was it languishing in a field on the family farm. A sad end to an awesome car. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this